Mangaluru: Dakshina Kannada deputy commissioner Darshan HV Monday said the district administration will take all necessary steps to ensure there is no artificial flooding due to the coffer bund constructed across the Phalguni River as part of the overbridge works between Tannirbhavi and Sultan Battery.After inspecting the area, the DC said action had already been initiated against those who dumped debris into the river. Mangaluru City Corporation (MCC) filed a complaint, after which an FIR was registered, and the vehicle involved in dumping the debris was seized.While the person responsible was required to remove the debris, the work was not carried out. Subsequently, the MCC deployed earthmovers to clear the debris. The operation is expected to be completed within 10 days. The cost incurred will be recovered from the person responsible, Darshan told reporters.The DC said the administration is evaluating multiple options to prevent flooding during the monsoon. “We have two to three plans under consideration. A meeting was also held. The administration will decide on the most suitable method to ensure that there is no artificial flooding,” he said.He added that road connectivity works related to the bridge project are expected to be completed by the first week of July, after which the assembled bowstring girder will be jacked onto the bridge.Earlier, National Environmental Care Foundation (NECF) wrote to the DC seeking urgent intervention against the coffer bund built across the Phalguni River. It claimed that ahead of the south‑west monsoon, the creation of a ‘mud dam’ by Mangaluru Smart City Ltd (MSCL) would prevent the discharge of rainwater from upstream, leading to backwater flooding in low‑lying areas.
